Living room safety
The easiest way to keep yourself safe in your living room is by arranging a home fire safety visit.
Get a home fire safety visit
Book a free home fire safety visit today. It only takes around 20 minutes – and it could save your life.
You'll get safety tips and advice on how to avoid a fire in the bedroom – and what to do if it does. You'll even get free extra smoke alarms if you need them.
Speak to your housing officer or book your free visit by:
Check out other simple ways below to stay safe in your living room.
In Scotland, most fatal fires are started by smoking. Cigarette ends can smoulder for ages if not put out properly. You should:
- never leave a cigarette unattended
- stub cigarettes out in an ashtray – put a little water at the bottom of the ashtray
- empty and clean your ashtray regularly
- keep matches and lighters out of reach of children
- use safety matches (ones that only strike on the box)
- don’t throw used matches straight in the bin – put them in an ashtray.
Many fires started by cigarettes happen to people who have been drinking and are tired. Follow these tips:
- take extra care if you’ve been drinking alcohol
- don’t smoke in your chair if you’ve been drinking or you’re sleepy
- if you do feel sleepy, smoke outside or at a window.
Electrical equipment safety
Every two weeks a TV in Scotland starts a house fire. This is dangerous at any time – but if you’re asleep, it could be fatal. All electric equipment should be switched off at the wall when you leave the house or go to bed.
Follow our safety advice:
- always switch appliances off at the wall before going to bed or going out
- always plug straight into a wall socket and avoid adaptors for lots of plugs as they can result in electricity overloads.
Older soft furniture can catch fire more easily. It's often filled with foam that create dangerous fumes when on fire.
Furniture made before 1988 is unlikely to be fire resistant. Think about changing older chairs or having them re-covered with modern material. Chair covers can help increase fire resistance, so repair holes or worn areas.
If you have lit candles at home, you should:
- use a proper candlestick holder
- put candlestick holders on flat, heat-resistant surfaces – never on cushions or plastic – and make sure they don’t get knocked over
- keep candles clear of clothes and curtains
- put candles out properly before leaving the room and never leave a lit candle alone – even for a few seconds
- never use candles if you’ve been drinking alcohol or feel sleepy
- treat tea lights and incense sticks the same as candles.